Mushroom Toxicity

?? With the warmth of Autumn and so much rain, a lot of you will have noticed the influx of mushrooms growing in Ipswich. But did you know mushrooms can be fatal to our pets?

Mushroom poisoning occurs as a result of ingesting toxic mushrooms and symptoms can greatly vary depending on the type eaten.

Symptoms can be fatal causing acute liver and kidney destruction or effect the nervous or gastrointestinal system.

Common Symptoms:
?Abdominal pain
?Yellowing of skin (jaundice)

99% of mushrooms are safe, but that 1% can be fatal and one toxic mushroom is toxic enough to kill a grown man.

Some good rules apply for avoiding poisonous mushrooms:
1. Avoid mushrooms with white gills (underside), a skirt or ring on the stem and a bulbous or sack like base called a volva.
2. Avoid mushrooms with red on the cap or stem.
3. Finally if any doubt, remove it immediately from your pets reach or yard!

Liver toxic mushrooms in Queensland
– Amanita phalloides (Death Cap Mushroom)
– Amanita ocreata (Angel of Death)
– Lepiota (False Parasol)
– Galerina

Typically, 10 to 12 hours pass between consumption and the onset of clinical signs. Please seek immediate veterinary attention if in doubt or your pet has ingested any form of mushroom. ?

?Booval Vet Hospital: (0732826722)
Karalee Village Vet : (07 32829009)
?Pine Mountain Vet Clinic (07 3201 8862)